Granbury Quilters Guild Upcoming Events
Granbury Quilt Guild Monthly Meeting – 3rd Monday of every month.
United Electric Co-Op Community Room, 320 Fall Creek Highway, Granbury. 6:30 hors d’oeuvres and dessert, 7:00 meeting, program
MONTHLY GUILD MEETINGS AND WORKSHOPS (all programs and workshops are open to non- members) and AREA EVENTS for QUILTERS
ONGOING – Texas Quilt Museum – Features changing exhibits with a variety of quilts from antique to contemporary and avant garde.
140 W. Colorado St., La Grange, TX; www.texasquiltmuseum.org
ONGOING – For classes and workshops in the area, please check out www.pattislastresort.com (Patti’s Last Resort) and https://www.facebook.com/sewkrazeequilt/ (Sew Krazee)
March 18th, 2019 – Quilt Guild Meeting, United Co-op – Confessions of an Absent Minded Quilter by Carol Morrissey – http://ocarol.blogspot.com/
March 19th, 2019 – Quilt Workshop, United Co-op – Fabric Postcards; 9 am – 3 pm; $35; contact Kay Makens, 817-573-1844
Fabric Postcards Supply List—Carol Morrissey 214-549-7307, firstname.lastname@example.org
In our workshop, I’ll share my favorite fusing techniques while we make colorful postcards using fused, raw-edge appliqué. You can actually mail these postcards if you want, or use them as gifts, frame them or swap with friends. I will also give a free-motion stitching demo on a standard sewing machine at the end of the workshop to show you how you can incorporate thread work into your postcards.
Attendees are required to purchase my Texas Wildflowers Postcards pattern ($14 plus tax), or one of my other postcards patterns, which I will bring with me to the workshop.
Please bring the following items to class:
- Pencil and note paper.
- One yard of Wonder Under. If you prefer anther brand of paper backed fusible web, that’s okay, but I use Wonder Under.
- An Applique Pressing Sheet by Bear Threads Designs, or a different brand of non-stick appliqué pressing sheet if you already have one.
- A light box if you have one, or you and a friend could share.
- Scissors. We will cut paper-backed fusible web that is fused to fabric, so if you don’t want to use a particular pair of scissors on paper, bring another pair.
- Irons will be provided by the guild, but you may bring your iron and small ironing surface if you prefer.
- Heavy-duty fusible interfacing/stabilizer such as Fast2Fuse, Timtex or Peltex. The postcards measure 4’ x 6”, so you may purchase yardage accordingly depending on how many you wish to make. We will probably make two or three in the workshop. The brand of interfacing/stabilizer you use may have fusible product on one side, both sides, or neither. It does not matter which brand you get. I will bring a bolt of Peltex to sell, if you wish to purchase some in class.
- Rotary cutter and small rotary ruler (you will cut 4” x 6” shapes). You may also bring a small rotary mat if you prefer to cut at yur own work area instead of using the mats in the classroom.
Each postcard requires 4’ x 6” pieces of fabric for the front and back. These can be two different colors. The pieces of fabric we’ll need for the appliqués are small, so you can use those pretty batik scraps that you’ve been saving. Batiks are recommended for this project. Commercial prints tend to fray when cut into small pieces. I will bring a large variety of batiks scraps to share.
Regarding sewing machines; It is not necessary to bring a sewing machine. I will demo free-motion stitching, but you do not have to do any stitching on the postcards. It is optional. You’ll want to zigzag the outer edges of the postcards after they are finished, but you do not need to do that in class.
April 15th, 2019 – Quilt Guild Meeting, United Co-op – Dan the Woodman
May 20th, 2019 – Quilt Guild Meeting, United Co-op – Using Panels
June 17th, 2019 – Quilt Guild Meeting, United Co-op – Guild Pot Luck
July 15th, 2019 – Quilt Guild Meeting, United Co-op –
July 26 & 27th, 2019 – East Texas Thimble Trail, TEXAS STRONG, “Honoring our Texas Heroes”; Walker Co. Fairgrounds, Huntsville, TX; www.easttexasthimbletrail.com
August 19th, 2019 – Quilt Guild Meeting, United Co-op – Kits to Custom
September 16th, 2019 – Quilt Guild Meeting, United Co-op – Brazilian Embroidery
September 17th, 2019 – Brazilian Embroidery Workshop, United Co-op – Fabric Postcards
October 21st, 2019 – Quilt Guild Meeting, United Co-op – Mini Schoolhouse
October 31st – November 3rd, 2019 – International Quilt Show, George Brown Cenvention Center, 1001 Avenida de las Americas, Houston, TX; preview night – October 30th
November 18th, 2019 – Quilt Guild Meeting, United Co-op – Borders